- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Senior Energy Analyst
Synapse Energy Economics
Alternative Transportation, Carbon Trading, Demand Response, Energy Efficiency, Green Building, Services and Support, Smart Grid, Solar, Water Technology, Wind, Other
Contact Info Erin Ash firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are passionate about energy, economics, the environment, and galvanizing positive change, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you! Synapse is seeking a Senior Associate with robust quantitative skills and project management experience. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
Job Description: The Senior Associate will manage projects, proposals and teams related to topics such as energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, utility resource plans, power plant economics, and electricity markets. The Senior Associate will also run and execute electricity market simulation software, capacity expansion models, and in-house custom software tools across a range of different modeling platforms.
- Lead and manage projects and proposals (including budget, staff, and client management).
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses, and develop reports and testimony.
- Conduct electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, EnCompass, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments and resource valuations for energy sector.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.
- Degree in Engineering, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Physical Sciences, or related field.
- 5-10 years of relevant industry work experience with a Master's or Bachelor's Degree, or
- 2-5 years of relevant industry work experience with a Doctorate
- At least 1 year of project management and budget management experience.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy.
- A clear understanding of economic principles.
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements.
- State, federal, provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred.
- Familiarity with utility Integrated Resource Planning.
- Standard programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Ruby, etc.), and statistical tools a plus, but not required.
- Ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Work experience in the public interest or environmental sector.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment.
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels.
- Support for employees’ professional and career development.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- Ergonomic workspaces.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- A flexible work environment.
How to Apply:
To apply, please visit submit your resume and cover letter as a single document to the form found on our website. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. This position is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
About the Company:
Synapse is a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse represents these public interest clients in state and federal utility dockets.
We seek critical thinkers who are thorough, proactive, pleasant to work with, and who love to dig into interesting, complex, world-improving research and analysis.