- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Principal Scientist / Scientist - Microbiology
This team member will lead strain development efforts to optimize Kula Bio’s first microbial product for nitrogen-fixation. Additionally, they will oversee and coordinate characterization and expansion of Kula Bio’s microbe portfolio for further applications in nutrient recovery, crop protection, and bioremediation.
- Plan and execute directed evolution, or non-genetic engineering pipeline to increase cell density, growth rate and intracellular product titer
- Develop and oversee execution of strain portfolio evaluation and expansion pipeline
- Work collaboratively with Reactor Technology and Agronomy teams to iteratively inform microbial strain design, reactor design, and application practices
- Consult on field trials and on-site/on-farm operations
- Mentor and train junior Microbiology team members
- Participate in strategic planning
- Assist in IP strategy development
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, Bioengineering, or other biological science or equivalent industrial experience
- Industrial experience
- Expertise culturing non-model organisms via non-heterotrophic growth
- Expertise with scale-up and industrialization of microbial processes
- Experience in high-throughput screening and selection methods
- Strong record of science communication and mentoring skills
- Competitive compensation
- Further negotiable benefits
- The opportunity to help shape the culture, direction, and success of Kula Bio
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a 1) Cover letter and 2) CV to email@example.com indicating the position in the subject.
About the Company:
Kula Bio champions sustainable, biological solutions for modern agriculture. We super-charge natural nitrogen-fixing microbes with renewable energy in order to deliver reliable, low-cost organic biofertilizers. By rewiring the energy flow from sun to soil, we're tackling the wholesale replacement of synthetic nitrogen fertilizers and eliminating the division between affordable practices, and better stewardship of our land, sea and air. We seek interdisciplinary scientists and engineers across agronomy, soil science, microbiology, bioengineering, chemical engineering, electrochemistry and beyond. As an early-stage startup, team members must share our vision for revolutionary new approaches to agriculture, and share our excitement for building new enterprises from the ground up. We believe such an interdisciplinary team requires equally diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.