- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Design and Building Performance Manager
Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit housing developer and owner devoted to the preservation and long-term stewardship of at-risk affordable housing. POAH’s portfolio includes over 10,000 homes across eleven states and the District of Columbia. POAH has rescued and restored some of America’s most ‘at risk’ rental housing and is recognized for its ability to develop innovative financing structures and to close complex transactions that preserve long-term housing affordability for low- and moderate-income individuals and families.
POAH’s pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation has resulted from a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of ‘at risk’ properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance, energy and water efficient housing, and regulatory reform. POAH recognizes energy conservation as a key element of responsible property ownership and has invested considerable resources in energy efficiency, water conservation and renewable energy.
About the Opportunity
POAH is seeking a Boston-based team member to assist its VP of Design + Building Performance by overseeing and providing guidance on design, durability, health, and energy-related decisions, both for properties in development and in the owned portfolio. The position’s specific and essential tasks include:
- Basis of Design (BOD): Be the “keeper” of POAH’s Basis of Design (BOD). Co-author, manage, distribute, and enforce the use of POAH’s in-house design standards, known as the Basis of Design. Continue to research, publish, and rollout new BOD sections. Host trainings with maintenance staff to increase adoption of the resource and collect feedback. Analyze portfolio purchase data every 6 months and issue compliance reports to property staff. Update and maintain the BOD website.
- Maintenance: Assist with scoping on capital improvement projects.
- Subject Matter Expert: Field questions from property staff relating to building products, systems and materials. Serve as a subject matter expert to reach solutions or establish BOD alternatives for specific scenarios.
- Predesign: Facilitate energy audits. Hire and manage consultants.
- 3rd Party Building Certifications: If a certification is being pursued, hire and manage the consultant. Work with consultant during design and construction to ensure project compliance, and act as POAH’s point of contact.
- Design and Construction Phases: Work in conjunction with development project manager to review Capital Needs Assessments and develop scope of work. Distribute and review Basis of Design (BOD) with architect, engineers and other consultants. Review and advise POAH PM on design and building performance related issues. Review plans and specifications from architect to ensure conformance with BOD. Review select submittals (i.e. MEP, Building Envelope, Windows, HVAC) or submittals that the architect and/or PMs flag because they deviate from the BOD.
- Occupancy: Host resident trainings on new, high efficiency building systems.
- 3-5 years of working experience in architecture, engineering, construction management, or other related fields
- Degree in one of the following disciplines is preferred: architecture, engineering, construction management, or other building-related fields
- Ability to read design and construction drawings
- Knowledge of architectural, structural and MEP systems
- Knowledge of, and passion for, energy and water efficient design
- Construction/field experience
- A professional with excellent judgment and intuitive interpersonal skills
- Excellent communications skills – written and verbal
- An entrepreneurial, self-motivated and results-oriented individual
Benefits include medical, dental and life insurance, a generous earned leave plan, and a 401k plan with company match.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals may apply at http://tiny.cc/DesignManager.
About the Company:
Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a nonprofit developer, owner and operator of more than 10,000 affordable homes in eleven states and the District of Columbia.
POAH’s primary mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security and access to opportunity for all.
POAH specializes in the preservation of existing affordable housing that is at risk of being lost due to market pressures or physical deterioration. POAH has expertise in new construction and neighborhood-scale mixed-income development and mixed-use redevelopments.
POAH’s communities serve a broad range of households, including families, seniors, and persons with disabilities.