- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Building Energy Modeler/Analyst
New Ecology, Inc. (home office)
Analyst, Data Analysis/Management, Project Management
Energy Efficiency, Green Building
Contact Info Monica Zgola firstname.lastname@example.org 6175571700
New Ecology, Inc. is seeking candidates for the position of Building Energy Modeler/Analyst in its Boston office. The Modeler will use his or her knowledge of engineering and the simulation process to support projects requiring computer modeling for code compliance, LEED and Energy Star compliance, existing building energy audits, utility program evaluations, and comparison of design alternatives. In this position the Modeler will join our current modeling staff, and work with New Ecology’s project managers and engineers to develop accurate energy simulations for baseline and proposed conditions, and to guide our clients’ design and optimization process. The energy modelers at New Ecology work with a small engineering team that, in addition to performing energy simulations, conducts energy audits, calculates savings with spreadsheet tools, delivers architectural and mechanical design support, provides building monitoring and optimization, and generally provides engineering support for the organization.
- Perform whole building energy modeling and analysis at a variety of stages of project design and development, utilizing predominately the ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G framework;
- Develop building geometry from plans which may be provided in a variety of formats;
- Model all types of building HVAC systems within the software;
- Perform calculations outside the modeling software as required;
- Use eQuest, Energy Plus, and possibly other simulation software, as well as 2D and 3D drawing programs, support software, and spreadsheets. These could include Autocad, Revit, Sketchup, Open Studio, and Rhino. Develop spreadsheet documentation that supports the modeling process;
- Use scripting in Python or other tools to enhance model creation;
- Analyze the model outputs;
- Provide feedback to project teams on cost effective ways of improving building performance and sustainability. Develop and write studies that detail building components, describe energy efficiency alternatives to improve design and control, and outline modeling assumptions, for new and existing facilities;
- Manage time effectively and within project budget constraints;
- Assist with development of scopes of work by providing detailed information related to the time and costs associated with energy modeling.
New Ecology typically seeks to hire multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek deeper and deeper understanding of how buildings operate and how this understanding can be used to convince owners and operators to adapt greener practices.
The ideal candidate will be results-oriented and a team player. The applicant’s experience and qualifications will ideally include many of the following items:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in mechanical/architectural engineering or related field.
- 1+ years of demonstrable experience with common energy analysis/benchmarking and energy modeling software, with a specific focus on eQUEST and EnergyPlus. Familiarity with Trane Trace, Carrier HAP, Excel-based energy calculations, etc. is a plus;
- 1+ years’ experience related to building energy systems design;
- Proficiency with 2D and 3D drawing software such as Autocad, Revit, and Sketchup;
- Competence with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel;
- Understanding of building HVAC, lighting and other related systems, and ability to efficiently read and interpret drawings and specifications;
- Basic knowledge of building enclosure systems and building science;
- Knowledge of the basic physics and engineering equations underlying building energy calculations;
- Familiarity with energy codes, including the international codes such as IECC, and ASHRAE standards.
- Experience with modeling to meet the LEED, Energy Star Multifamily High Rise, and utility rebate program requirements;
- Excellent planning and organization skills;
- Ability to distill basic information out of complex development projects, assess challenges, and generate and communicate recommended resolutions;
- CEM, LEED, or credentials in related areas will be considered an advantage, as will the ASHRAE BEMP certificate (building energy modeling professional);
- Experience with modeling support software such as Open Studio and Rhino, and experience with Python or Excel VBA is desirable.
Competitive pay and generous benefits package. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (please put “Building Energy Modeler” in the subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
About the Company:
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally‐recognized non‐profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost‐effectively improve the performance, health, and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community‐based assets such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are just seeking improved performance; see www.newecology.org for more details.