Building owners should first select their installers, who will submit the rebate application on their behalf. MassCEC maintains a list of installerswho have previously participated in the program.
MassCEC recommends that residents:
- Solicit proposals from at least three installers.
- Check references from prior installations and ask questions listed on our Solar Hot Water Installers webpage.
Once you’ve selected an installer and are ready to move forward with the project, your installer should:
- All commercial-scale projects over 8 collectors are required to submit a feasibility study with their construction application. Please read the program manual to learn about MassCEC's feasibility study grant program. Applicants are not required to use the MassCEC feasibility grant program to complete the required study, but are offered the option.
All construction projects should proceed with the following steps:
- Complete the system design.
- Apply for the rebate on your behalf and help you apply for other financial incentives.
- Information on additional SHW incentives can be found on our Learn About SHW page.
- The building owner must provide the installer with a signed copy of the appropriate Participant's Agreement (small-scale Participant's Agreement, commercial-scale Participant's Agreement) and an electric bill, as well as other information about the project site.
- The building owner must schedule an energy audit to take place within the next six months if you have not had an energy audit within the past four years.
- MassCEC must approve the rebate award before installation begins.
- Once MassCEC issues an award letter, the installer may complete the system installation within nine months of the award approval date.
- Once the project is complete, the installer submits documentation verifying the project is complete.
- MassCEC may schedule an inspection prior to payment to ensure installation quality.
- Once complete, MassCEC will issue the rebate payment.
Payment will typically be issued within four to six weeks of the time the documentation is received.
For small non-profit or government buildings installing eight or fewer solar hot water collectors, please read the Small-Scale Program Manual for full details on eligibility, program requirements, and rebates. For large non-profit or government buildings installing more than eight collectors, please read the Commercial-Scale Program Manual for full details on eligibility, program requirements, and rebates. Installers looking to participate in the program or apply on behalf of building owners should visit the Installer page.