- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
IncubateMass - Program Background
MassCEC’s IncubateMass program was established in 2013 in response to the growing number of incubators in Massachusetts and the need for increased development and support of incubation space for cleantech and water innovation startup companies. MassCEC created the IncubateMass program to provide support to incubators that work with clean energy and water innovation startups on a competitive basis, tying funding to performance metrics.
Startups and small business represent a critical component of the state economy with demonstrable impacts on job creation and accelerating the commercialization of new clean energy technologies across the Commonwealth. The program includes:
- Grants for operations and management support and acquisition of new equipment and infrastructure
- Small grants to support the development of incubator managers and staff through memberships in relevant professional organizations and participation in key conferences
- Sponsorship of events aimed at connecting entrepreneurs to customers, investors and new employees
IncubateMass funding is tied to performance metrics and regular reporting, allowing the program to be transparent in the impacts of funds deployed and encourages the incubators involved to be increasingly strategic and to continually improve how they engage with current and graduate startup companies.
Since the program’s inception, MassCEC has provided $1.135 million in funding for operations and management support for eligible incubators. To date, seven incubators across the state have participated and benefited from the program:
- Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship – Fall River
- Chestnut Innovation Center - Amesbury
- Greentown Labs – Somerville
- North Shore InnoVentures – Beverly
- TechSandBox - Hopkinton
- Worcester Clean Tech Incubator – Worcester
For more information on clean energy incubators in Massachusetts, please visit our Massachusetts Clean Energy Incubators page.