- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Commonwealth Solar Hot Water (Residential) - How Do I Apply?
How Do I Apply?
Homeowners should first select their installers, who will submit the rebate application on their behalf. MassCEC maintains a list of installers who have previously participated in the program.
MassCEC recommends that residents:
- Solicit proposals from at least three installers.
- Check references from prior installations and ask the questions listed on our Finding an Installer webpage.
Prior to deciding to move forward with a system, residents who may meet income criteria should determine if they are eligible for the Income-Based Rebate Adder, as described in the Program Manual. For example, a household of four with annual income of $127,408 or less may qualify.
Once the resident selects an installer, and is ready to move forward with the project, the installer should:
- Complete the system design.
- Apply for the rebate on your behalf and help you apply for other financial incentives.
- Information on additional SHW incentives can be found on our Learn About SHW page.
- The homeowner must provide the installer with a signed Participant's Agreement and an electric bill, as well as other information about the project site.
- The homeowner must schedule a free Mass Save Home Energy Assessment to take place within the next six months if they have not within the past four years.
- MassCEC must approve the rebate award before installation begins.
- Once MassCEC issues an award letter, the installer may complete the system installation within nine months of the award approval date.
- Once the project is complete, the installer submits documentation verifying the project is complete.
- MassCEC may schedule an inspection prior to payment to ensure installation quality.
- Once complete, MassCEC will issue the rebate payment.
Payment will typically be issued within four to six weeks of the time the documentation is received.
Please read the Program Manual for full details on eligibility, program requirements, and rebates. Installers looking to participate in the program or apply on behalf of homeowners should visit the installer page.