The Fraunhofer Center for Sustainable Energy Systems (CSE) is looking for a Software Engineer in its Grid Integration Group to support development, integration, and testing of distributed energy resource systems, smart grid technologies, energy management algorithms, and devices. We seek an individual with a diverse software engineering toolset and experience coding in Python who has the ability to take on complex, multi-dimensional projects and quickly learn new things. This is an opportunity to work with one of the world’s leading research organizations to address critical challenges related to the deployment of sustainable energy technologies. You will be a key part of a dynamic team that shares a commitment to engineering excellence, combined with an excitement about sustainable energy technology.
- Develop software (embedded and cloud-based) which enables research on distributed energy resources (e.g., solar generation, renewables, energy storage, building technologies, IoT sensors, etc) and smart grid technologies
- Support laboratory, field, and analytical evaluations of distributed energy systems and power systems
- Create and manage software documentation and version control
- Support senior researchers in developing and implementing energy management, optimization, and control algorithms
- Work with other members of technical staff to develop proposals and cultivate funding opportunities in the area of distributed energy systems and grid modernization
- B.S. or M.S. with 3 to 8 years of post-graduate experience and relevant education in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or relevant research in other engineering or science field.
- Proficient in Python, and experience with other languages (e.g., C/C++, Java, etc)
- Experience working in a Linux operating environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
- Experience working with embedded systems, “internet of things” devices, sensors, drones, robotics, microcomputers such as Raspberry Pi, or similar.
- Experience developing and maintaining software as both the primary developer and as a member of a larger team
- Demonstrated experience with several of the following:
- Agent development on the VOLTTRON platform
- Embedded Systems
- Energy Management algorithms
- User Interfaces
- Mobile App development
- Database applications such as MonetDB, MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL.
- RESTful APIs and/or Web Socket APIs
- Industrial communication protocols used in distributed energy systems and power systems such as Modbus, IEC61850, DNP3, etc.
- Version control tools, such as Git
- Knowledge of electronics, hands-on practical engineering, and/or experience working in a lab environment a plus
- Experience participating in hackathons a plus
- Skilled oral and written communicator
- Effectively collaborates in a team environment
Fraunhofer USA, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer of Individuals with disabilities, protected veterans and is a federal contractor.
The Fraunhofer USA Center for Sustainable Energy Systems CSE is an applied research and development laboratory dedicated to building tomorrow’s energy future today. Our staff’s expertise in solar photovoltaics, smart energy-efficient buildings, and grid technologies provides a platform for deeply integrating distributed energy resources through collaborative R&D with private companies, government entities, and academic institutions. Fraunhofer CSE is one of seven centers of Fraunhofer USA, a 501(c)(3) non-profit contract R&D organization, a subsidiary of Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Europe's largest contract R&D organization. More information can be found at: cse.fraunhofer.org.