Senior Analyst, Energy - Emerging Technology Market Research
Lux Research is seeking a dynamic, passionate leader to serve as a Senior Analyst (Energy - Emerging Technolgoies) on our Market Intelligence team covering Innovative and Emerging Technologies in Energy (Distributed Generation; Smart Grid & Grid Storage, etc.). Lux Research is the leading provider of subscription-based market intelligence services designed to help its global customer base drive growth through technology innovation. Lux Research’s areas of expertise include data, analysis, insights, and trends in technology innovations across applied materials, digital transformation, energy and gas, food and nutrition, health and wellness, and many other practice areas. Clients represent major industries and include global multinationals, small and medium companies, governments, and universities. Professionals in product development and R&D, technology and innovation scouting, strategy, business development, and corporate venturing utilize Lux Research’s subscription market intelligence, advanced analytics platform and data research services to make more informed decisions. Based in Boston, Lux Research maintains additional offices in New York, Amsterdam, Singapore and Tokyo.
Senior Analyst – Energy; Emerging Technology Market Research
Lux Research is seeking candidates for a Sr. Research Analyst focused on energy innovation technologies. Senior Analysts are the bedrock of the Lux Research team, leading the primary and secondary research that powers the firms' research reports and consulting engagements. Senior Analysts help manage the operations of a rapidly-growing, geographically-dispersed team and develop more inexperienced or junior level team members. They lead and participate in teams that conduct primary research interviews with executives, researchers, and thought leaders; chase down and analyze quantitative data; devise creative ways to present data and ideas visually; and communicate research results to clients, who are business leaders looking to drive growth from tech innovation, mainly at multinational companies.
Sr. Analysts take on significant client-facing responsibilities commensurate with their experience and growth and serve as trusted advisors and thought partners to top executives at client companies. In addition, senior analysts perform the role of project manager for our advanced research. The target candidate will be required to cover and advise on emerging technologies in energy.
Sr. Analysts in this role will evaluate a wide range of technologies and applications including
- The grid of the future, the role of renewables, storage, power electronics, and software
- Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries and next-generation energy storage (like flow batteries. solid-state batteries)
- Other energy storage technologies like supercapacitors, flow batteries and fuel cells
- Utility-scale, distributed-scale, and microgrid-scale energy storage
- Renewable integration and other grid services using energy storage
- Vehicle-to-grid (V2G), virtual power plants (VPP), and other innovative business models
- Alternative fuels from biofuel to hydrogen
- Emerging technologies for oil & gas exploration and production
- The impact of policy, subsidies, and other regulatory factors on technology adoption and impact
- Manage and work with a team of expert research team members to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Coach; mentor and manage research team members; assisting with team members’ professional development.
- Edit and quality control written research reports, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas.
- Manage research projects, client deliverables and interactions.
- Help develop and launch new client service offerings.
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies.
- Conduct primary interviews for written research reports, including developing and executing sets of interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press, academic publications, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Previous experience managing a team.
- Minimum 5 years’ industry experience relating to innovations in one or more of the following: energy storage, renewables, advanced power grids, energy systems, alternative fuels, oil and gas.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor's degree in materials science, chemistry, physics, chemical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or similar is required. Advanced degrees in these disciplines are preferred.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, post start-up environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work. Ability to motivate and coach others to superior performance levels.
- Experience and formal training in project management in a business environment
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skill, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Excellent office software skills and ability to touch type.
Lux Research offers a competitive benefits program; a generous PTO program; and offers a vibrant and intellectually stimulating work environment.
Lux Research is a leading provider of intelligence services, helping clients drive growth through technology innovation. With quality data derived from primary research, fact-based analysis, and opinions that challenge traditional thinking, Lux clients are empowered to make better, informed decisions today to ensure future success. A pioneer in the research industry, Lux is uniquely positioned with technical expertise in addition to business insights, augmented by advanced analytics.