Embedded Controls Engineer
XL Hybrids seeks an experienced Embedded Controls Engineer for real-time controls hardware development and support of vehicle control systems for hybrid electric vehicle product lines. Senior Embedded Controls Engineer candidates with greater qualifications will also be considered.
- Own the hardware design, development and procurement for the following subsystems from concept, to prototype, and through production release:
- micro-controllers that interface with the vehicle ECU, battery controls, power converters, SPI-bus and communication devices
- wireless and CAN bus communications units
- laboratory electrical test equipment for vehicle systems
- high voltage power electronics (motor drives, DC/DC converters, on-board chargers, and other auxiliary power equipment)
- Support development and execution of validation, testing, and optimization of the control systems and components including development of in-house testing equipment and in-vehicle field testing
- Specific duties include:
- Case, wiring, and PCB support of existing and new designs, parts selection, and procurement
- Support engineering verification, design validation and production validation testing.
- System debug in the lab and on vehicles
- Embedded software support for custom microcontroller and telematics
- Create test setups
- Support new component selection and vehicle integration
- Perform system performance analysis
- Keep records and provide documentation on all projects (SVN, GIT)
- Collaborate with the technical organization on other outsourced vehicle and component testing projects for performance, durability, emissions, and safety
- Ability and willingness to drive development vehicles (CDL not required)
- Limited travel required to test facilities and customers which may include international travel
- Candidate will report to the Control Systems Manager
Additional Responsibilities based on experience/interests
- XL Hybrids is a dynamic, growth business, so joining our team means that you will have a wide scope of work and responsibilities that may shift with rapidly growing areas of the business.
- Support resolution of customer-related technical issues
- BS in Engineering or Computer Science
- 3+ years of control system design, test, and manufacturing experience including
- PCB layout and manufacturing
- Wiring and electrical system debug
- Test equipment design or programming (e.g. Labview, Python)
- Data analysis
- Thorough knowledge of 8/16-bit microcontrollers
- Skilled in Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be able to work full time in XL Hybrids’ Boston office
- Direct experience in CAN bus communication software and hardware systems development
- Some direct embedded real-time controls programming experience (e.g. C, C++, Python, Java)
- Direct experience in the development and commercialization of electrified vehicle control systems software
- Direct experience in the development and commercialization of electrified vehicle control systems microcontroller and communications hardware
- Knowledge of 3-phase motor drive, DC/DC converter, and other high voltage power electronics.
- Direct experience in the development of cellular/telematics and hardware systems
- Direct experience with communication protocols (e.g. CAN, SPI, 802.11, Bluetooth)
- Practical working knowledge of: FMEA, APQP, PPAP, and Design (DV) & Production (PV) planning and testing.
- Paid time off
- Medical/dental/vision/life and disability insurance
Apply through Linkedin posting.
Simple. Smart. Sustainable. XL Hybrids is the leader in fleet electrification and connectivity solutions for commercial and municipal fleets, with technology that delivers a 25 percent increase in miles per gallon and reduces carbon dioxide emissions. Our hybrid technology offers businesses a low-risk way to reduce fuel use, cut costs, and slash emissions without impacting operations or sacrificing vehicle performance. The award-winning XL3 Hybrid Electric Drive System is a revolutionarily simple solution that helps commercial and municipal fleets lower operating costs and meet sustainability goals. Compatible with new and existing Class 2 to 6 commercial fleet vehicles, the XL3 system can be installed in less than six hours on GM, Ford, and Isuzu vans, trucks, and buses. It works seamlessly in the background with zero impact on fleet operations or service, and no driver training or infrastructure requirements. In 2017, XL has added the XLP hybrid electric plug-in upfit that leverages the same Fleet Ready technology with a larger battery pack and on-board Level 1&2 charger for up to a 50 percent increase in fuel economy. All systems come with XL Link our wireless connectivity and cloud-based data analytics platform. XL is the North American leader in fleet electrification with many of largest fleets as repeat customers and over 50 Million customer miles from coast to coast.