- EMERGING INITIATIVES
- ABOUT MassCEC
Electricity Systems Planner
Synapse Energy Economics
Analyst, Consulting, Distribution, Engineering, Project Management
Demand Response, Energy Efficiency, Services and Support, Smart Grid, Solar, Wind
Contact Info Erin Ash email@example.com
Are you skilled at using large datasets and optimization software to model complex systems? Are you passionate about energy, economics, and the environment and ready to harness your skills to galvanize positive change in these topic areas on behalf of public interest entities? If so, Synapse Energy Economics is the place for you!
Synapse Energy Economics is seeking a Senior Associate with robust quantitative skills and experience using modeling tools and analysis approaches to solve real world challenges. Candidates should have advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and modeling along with a demonstrated commitment to public interest issues such as sustainability, environmental justice, and consumer protection.
The Electricity Systems Planner will run and execute electricity market simulation software, capacity expansion models, and in-house custom software tools across a range of different modeling platforms. The Planner will also review and critique models run by utilities and project developers to ensure that assumptions are reasonable and the modeled results are accurate. Our models address a wide range of electric sector topics, including energy efficiency, renewable energy technologies, electricity rates, electric vehicles, environmental regulations, and electricity markets.
- Conduct electricity system modeling activities using industry-standard production cost and capacity expansion software (including, but not limited to PLEXOS, ReEDS, Strategist, System Optimizer, PROMOD), as well as in-house custom software tools.
- Assess utility company modeling approaches, scenario definitions, input assumptions and related parameterization. Work collaboratively with team members to refine analyses, and develop reports and testimony.
- Build utility-scale to regional-scale electric system modeling analyses using industry-standard software.
- Create, use, and maintain spreadsheet-based tools and other analytical platforms to analyze energy technologies, programs, and portfolios.
- Perform economic and policy analysis, cost-benefit assessments and resource valuations for energy sector.
- Clearly and succinctly summarize complex technical concepts to clients, regulators, and public audiences through papers, presentations, testimony, and meetings.
- Defend analysis and refute opposing viewpoints and analysis.
- Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Physical Sciences, Economics or related field.
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
- Critical thinking skills related to model platform strengths, weaknesses, and implicit assumptions; ability to determine how and when to use appropriate model structure.
- A strong desire to work on behalf of public interest clients in improving energy planning and policy.
- Basic understanding of economic principles.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to develop persuasive arguments for testimony and reports based on analysis of quantitative and qualitative evidence.
- Ability to work and communicate well in teams.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize critical tasks and conflicting requirements.
- Master’s Degree or Doctorate preferred.
- State, federal, provincial electric utility regulatory experience preferred.
- Standard programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Ruby, etc.), and statistical tools a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated experience modifying, executing, and extracting data from industry models such as PLEXOS, System Optimizer, Aurora, PROMOD, ReEDS, and power flow modeling software experience a plus, but not required.
- Opportunities to work with established experts on cutting‐edge policy on behalf of public interest clients dedicated to consumer welfare and the environment.
- The ability to inform energy policy and planning decisions at the local, state, regional, national, and global levels.
- Support for employees’ professional and career development.
- A team-based collegial work environment where we strive to balance work, personal life, and community involvement.
- Ergonomic workspaces.
- Autonomy and control over your work hours.
- Healthy snacks to get you through your afternoon lull.
- A flexible work environment.
- Competitive salary and benefits.
How to Apply:
To apply, please upload your resume and cover letter as a single document to the form found here. Please address the following question in your cover letter: What have you found most interesting or challenging about using models to solve a problem?
About the Company:
Synapse Energy Economics is a research and consulting firm specializing in economic and policy research, modeling, and analysis to provide electric sector solutions. Our work supports a broad range of public interest clients, including consumer advocates, environmental organizations, regulatory commissions, and state and federal agencies. Synapse represents these public interest clients in state and federal utility dockets.