Director of Innovation
PowerOptions, the leading energy buying consortium in Massachusetts and one of the largest consortiums of its kind, is seeking a creative, forward thinking innovation professional to lead its mission driven efforts to develop and implement new, consumer-oriented supplemental energy-related products and services for its 500 nonprofit and public members, ranging from large hospitals and universities to small churches and human service agencies. The Director of Innovation will work closely with the President and CEO and the Executive Vice-President to drive wide-ranging, breakthrough and incremental solutions from inception to market in service of PowerOptions members.
- Serve as the lead to drive innovative solutions from inception to market in service of PowerOptions members. This includes engaging cross-functional staff, management, members and the Board of Directors in identification of opportunities that build upon PowerOptions strengths for new, groundbreaking, as well as supplemental, products and services.
- Lead full development from research, brainstorming, testing, and assessment to launch and implementation. Facilitate real-time sharing of knowledge and best practices throughout development. Provide business case to support solution implementation. Create operational launch plans and drive the transition from business case to fully operational.
- Negotiate and coordinate resource needs with PowerOptions management. Identify opportunities for collaboration and linkages with potential partners as necessary. Develop budgets.
- Review and assess development and implementation activities to ensure strategic relevance. Identify, develop and lead shifts and pivots in strategy as necessary. Identify a process for understanding, documenting, and applying lessons learned and best practices.
- Represent PowerOptions at select forums; engage in innovation discussions and presentations that advance PowerOptions strategic and long-term interests.
- Communicate innovation-related and solution development information with senior management in a timely, ongoing manner; deliver inputs to stimulate thinking about innovative trends across the organization and to drive strategic thinking and action.
- Act as the innovation advocate for the organization. Educate staff and members on the innovation process and value it provides to the organization.
- Proven track record of developing and launching new products or services in a highly technical industry, i.e. software, cloud computing, advanced energy systems.
- Must be a creative, high-energy self-starter and fast learner who thrives in an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment.
- An out-of-the box thinker with the ability and enthusiasm for driving innovative thinking across the organization.
- Ability to quickly understand the energy markets and opportunities, member needs, and analyze and define opportunities that provide competitive differentiation.
- Ability to fail fast, recover and ultimately succeed.
- An enthusiasm for working with customers, understanding their problems and rapidly testing solutions with them.
- A fantastic collaborator, thoughtful teammate and a great momentum builder.
- Multi-tasker with strong prioritization and exceptional communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, innovation or related field.
- Minimum 5–7 years’ experience in innovation, R&D or product development—knowledge and understanding of competitive energy markets a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why they are qualified for the position and why they want to work at PowerOptions to Laurie Sass, Manager of Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 129 South Street, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02111.
PowerOptions is a nonprofit, mission-driven energy buying consortium that is a trusted advisor and resource for nonprofits and public entities in New England. With nearly 500 members, our collective strength yields optimal pricing and stability for our entire membership of organizations both large and small.
Experienced leadership, a proven supplier selection process and personalized customer service enable PowerOptions to manage the complexities of energy purchasing in New England, giving our members peace of mind.