Ground Source Heat Pumps - How Do I Apply?
Homeowners should first select their installers, who will submit the rebate application on their behalf. MassCEC maintains a list of installers who have previously participated in the program. The following directories can also help identify local eligible installers:
- New England Geothermal Professional Association (NEGPA)
- International Ground-Source Heat Pump Association (IGSHPA)
MassCEC recommends that residents:
- Solicit proposals from at least three installers.
- Ensure the installer has IGSHPA accreditation or Professional Engineer licensure.
- Check references from prior installations and ask the questions listed on our Ground-Source Heat Pump Installers webpage
Prior to deciding to move forward with a system, residents who may meet income criteria should determine if they are eligible for the Income-Based Rebate Adder, as described in the Program Manual. For example, a household of four with annual income of $127,408 or less may qualify.
Once the resident selects an installer, and is ready to move forward with the project, the installer should:
1. Complete the system design.
2. Apply for the rebate on your behalf and help you apply for other financial incentives by:
- Learning about ground-source heat pumps technology and additional incentives;
- Having you sign a MassCEC Participant's Agreement, gathering your electric bill, as well as other information about the project site;
- Ensure you have had a free MassSave Home Energy Assessment within the past four years, or have one scheduled within the next six months;
- Wait for MassCEC to approve the rebate award so the installation process can begin.
3. Once MassCEC issues an award letter, the installer may complete the system installation.
4. Once the project is complete, the installer submits documentation verifying the project is complete .
- MassCEC may schedule an inspection prior to payment to ensure installation quality.
- Once complete, MassCEC will issue the rebate payment.
Payment will typically be issued within four weeks of the time the documentation is received.
Please read the program manual for full details on eligibility, program requirements, and rebates. Installers looking to participate in the program or apply on behalf of homeowners should visit the installer resources page.